I have a question about how to best preserve an object which is of some historical value - is that on topic here?

| |
  • What kind of object is it? Maybe Chemistry group would be appropriate. – Voitcus Sep 3 '13 at 19:16
  • They appear to be photographic litho print plates. I'm just having a hard time finding a suitable group on SE to ask... – James Snell Sep 3 '13 at 20:52
  • @JamesSnell I was going to suggest Photography.SE, but then I noticed you've already tried the site. Not sure your question is on topic there, but hey, it's not closed yet. – yannis Sep 3 '13 at 22:39
  • 1
    An upvote for asking before posting. – T.E.D. Sep 4 '13 at 13:36
  • If it's of genealogical value, it might be appropriate on Genealogy & Family History – American Luke Sep 5 '13 at 1:56
  • It's not as it goes, although I might pay them a visit with a question I have... :) – James Snell Sep 5 '13 at 19:57

No that question is not really on topic here. Taken from the Help Center:

What topics can I ask about here?

History Stack Exchange is for historians and history buffs. If you have a question about:

  • Historical events Cultures and historical practices
  • Famous people
  • Ancient Languages
  • Factual current political history questions

Then you are in the right place.

It is not about:

  • Genealogy
  • Asking for reference material
  • Questions answered by a simple Google search or to be found in a Wikipedia page
  • Predicting the future based on historical trends
  • Mythology
  • Conspiracy Theories or Pseudo-science

Please look around to see if your question has been asked before. It’s also OK to ask and answer your own question.

However, all hope is not lost. As the Help Center continues:

If your question is not specifically on-topic for History Stack Exchange, it may be on topic for another Stack Exchange site. If no site currently exists that will accept your question, you may commit to or propose a new site at Area51, the place where new Stack Exchange communities are democratically created.

| |
  • 2
    Thanks, I didn't see any links to the FAQ from the homepage so I thought best to ask in meta first. – James Snell Sep 3 '13 at 20:53
  • It's actually called the help center now. :) That's probably the source of confusion. – American Luke Sep 5 '13 at 1:55

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .